View Single Post
      08-02-2021, 10:13 AM   #8
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf993 View Post
There would be consequences to that kind of action. If the truck is damaged and then can't respond have they accomplished anything? The principal of emergency response is to arrive, if you have an accident either intentional or not and don't arrive you have failed to do your job. I suspect the truck has a reverse gear, perhaps finding another route would've been the prudent action rather than sitting there for over a minute riding the siren and airhorn. Isn't the mantra of the fire dept, "seconds save lives"?
I was thinking the same thing about backing up. It appears no other vehicles were obstructing them in doing so. But also it will require one of the firefighters in the Engine to be back there to guide the driver back. That's SOP at my former station even with the smaller Medic and Ambulance rigs. So the extra time may not have been worth it to the driver in his calculation. Again speculating.

Another thought is maybe the driver is still in trainee status. I did a number of emergency response calls as a driver trainee under the supervision of a current status'd driver.
Appreciate 1
Murf99314114.00