View Single Post
      02-13-2018, 08:53 PM   #7
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWiTCHY View Post
My dad has had ulcerative colitis for over 20 years. Because of this, he has a sigmoidoscopy or colonoscopy performed annually. Each visit would return images of a healthy colon so we were never concerned of the possibility of colon cancer.

But last month my dad was complaining of abdominal pain. His PCP determined it was a hernia based on the fact he had hernia surgery in the past. One night my dad was found asleep on his bathroom floor, apparently having been in so much pain he decided it was better to try and fall asleep on the floor than to try and get up. I thought he should have gone to ER at this point but my mother took him to his bed instead and he was able to sleep through it that night.

Luckily he had a sigmoidoscopy scheduled three days after that night he experienced excruciating pain. The sigmoidoscopy returned images that were "concerning," as described by his PCP, who then acknowledged that it was unlikely a hernia that caused him the pain that night. My dad was then referred to take this CT scan.
Wow. I'm sorry to hear. With him having annual scopes, that should have been enough to catch some thing early. If this does turn out to be cancerous, it seems very aggressive.

Did your dad have a CEA test done yet? If not, you might want to ask for one to be ordered. CEA measures the amount of a protein antigen in the blood. Everyone produces CEA but having high amounts is highly unusual and indicative of something going on especially at very high levels. Your liver metabolizes CEA out of your blood stream.
Appreciate 0