03-03-2024, 03:48 PM   #2
GerryC
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40i, BMW X5x40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgie1217 View Post
I have done a search on here about retrofitting an OEM autodim/homelink rearview mirror to a Z4 that only came with the standard mirror. My question is it a direct swap and work like designed or is there a harness that has to be purchased? I saw in one post that you have to re-program the car as well. Any insight to this is appreciated.
There is (or was) one available that is plug compatible with your car. All it needs is power. Go to RealOEM and put in your VIN. Then 'Browse Parts', Click on 'Vehicle Trim' and the 'Interior Mirror'.

From the list, find the mirror with "Integrated universal remote control" to get the part number. (I believe there is also one with both the remote and the digital compass, but it's a lot more expensive.) Once you get the part number just Google "BMW xxxxxxxxxxx" where xxxxxxxxxxx is the part number. That will bring up any online sources of it.

It takes less than 10 minutes to swap. I did it on my E85. My E89 came with the remote.