View Single Post
      10-15-2013, 06:53 PM   #31
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1robot View Post
I'm still conflicted as to what i should do, get N52 Z4 and track it (30 hard-ridden minutes per session), or spend extra money on finding ways to fix heat soaking issues on the N54 engine. Has anyone fixed this problem? I would probably start by wraping the headers. What exactly gets heat soaked on N54 engines? air intake temp too high? starter?
if I were to go down the path of making E89 35i/s handle the heat I would start with FMIC to get the intake air temps down (it heats up just from a long pull on the highway...), retrofit the 850W radiator fan and auxiliary radiator from the 335is or 1M (not sure it will fit) and wrap the downpipe and turbo.

I think it would be decent $$$ spent just to make the thing do 30 minutes of hot lapping with consistent power output

Also, an x factor I encounter is the DCT going to a very conservative state where the shifting speeds in sport+ / manual were extremely slow and in sport+/ S mode automatic upshifts would occur at 4k rpm. I did not have logging so I am not sure about the root cause. If it is DCT temperature I am not even sure there is an aftermarket part to fix the issue.

I think it is worth assessing how much you want an E89 if you are going to track it. in my opinion, E89 N52 has a weight to power issue, E89 N54 has a heat management issue.
Appreciate 0