View Single Post
      05-05-2022, 11:09 AM   #86
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cos270 View Post
I posted this in another thread, but I'll repeat it here.

EVs are a stepping stone to eliminating most private transportation. First it's EVs, then autonomous vehicles, then no more privately owned cars (that you can actually drive on the public roads), be they EV or ICE. I'm not saying this is actually going to work, but its the plan. It's not publicized, but those in the know can see the writing on the wall. The only way we're going to reach emission and green house gas targets is if we cut down on the things doing the polluting (everyone has started to realize that first world countries are the only ones that will have the ability to make these drastic changes - India, most of Africa, Mexico and South America do not have the capital or infrastructure to do it in time). Private vehicles have a big target on their back because OEMs and the politicians they have in their pockets can get rich off replacing current ICE offerings with EVs and still look "green". OEMs know that EVs are less costly to maintain, so how are they going to keep their profits when there's less maintenance appointments at the dealers? Subscriptions for features (heated seats, lane-keep assist, etc.). Once the last ICE cars are taken off the road (be it by outright bans or taxation/fees that make it cost prohibitive to drive them), OEMs will start diversifying (many already have - GM and Ford with their electric delivery vans for FedEx and Amazon) by supplying EVs for commercial use, all while the government will announce emission goals are still not being met. Cue AVs and mass ride sharing. "Your" car picks you up at your house and takes you the store. While you shop, it serves as an Uber for someone else, then it comes back and picks you up and takes you home. Rinse and repeat.
Will all of this actually happen? Who knows. Most on this forum will probably be dead by the time we get to the final phase, but regardless, this is the path most governments and OEMs are headed down. I just hope I never live to see it.
As Conissah pointed out, the majority of car buyers today do not care about the driving experience and treat vehicles only as a means to an end (transportation). Many of the future generation (read: customers) do not even care to own a car or have a license (for many, it's financially prohibitive - a whole 'nother discussion). This plan is made to cater to them and still make everyone (OEMs, politicians A.K.A lobbyists) money while staying within the restrictions governments are going to start rolling out in the next 5-10 years.

To the point of Efthreeoh , I don't think military equipment and large commercial industries will every get off petroleum, because...well, physics. Certainly not in the next 40-50 years, at least. Which is a shame, because if we could find a way to make large ships and barges, semis, air carriers and trains carbon neutral, we could all keep our ICE cars. But that'll never happen.
Don’t even get me stated on the chemtrails…
Appreciate 0