View Single Post
      07-30-2017, 03:39 PM   #139
fmorelli
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Atacama Yellow 35i

Alright, so today I worked on fixing the ridiculous bridged mid-bass woofers in the footwell. This is a surprisingly bad violation of basic principles for stereo sound. Effectively passing the left side encoded sound to the right speaker muddles the stereo separation in the mid-range. The following photos should help for anyone looking to do this. Simply since I am programming my own DSP, I am routing the dedicated center channel to the right footwell mid-bass woofer so it is now on its own dedicated channel (as it should be).

I pulled the center channel, ran a steel snake down from the small slot on the right side of the center channel frame until the snake came out of the passenger side footwell. I had a spare connector (thanks to Bavsound) for the new harness.

Filippo

The undertray panel is already removed below (3 torx bits), and the footwell woofer panel is also removed. Here I show the dash side panel removed. A plastic removal tool will help - it's just 3 clips and pulls out. I pulled the door rubber molding as well. Note the snake has already been pushed through and I've taped the extension wire to it so the wire can be pulled back up to the center channel.

Here you can see the snake heading down to the passenger side. The snake is what one would buy at the hardware store to snake a clog in plumbing.

Here is the snake coming through passenger footwell. Photo is taken from the floor upwards.

I ran the wire up behind the glove box.

Ok ... about 3 inches above the speaker hole is a 1" body hole and then into the speaker hole. This photo is taken from the floor upward.

Here's the speaker connection at the center channel.

Bavsound has connectors. I had this spare harness which I clipped off the male connector and used to make the center channel harness extension.

Last edited by fmorelli; 07-30-2017 at 09:46 PM..
Appreciate 0