View Single Post
      10-03-2018, 04:55 PM   #21
bryanhoag
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Z4 sDrive 35i 6MT

This post has been a long time coming... but, here's my experience.

I went with option 2, the UniChip SmartBox and have been very happy.

Installation is a bit of a challenge. But, worth it in the long run.

In addition to their video instructions. I loosened the center console to run wires back to the armrest. In the process, I swapped the cigarette lighter/ashtray piece for a small tray/sunglasses holder and also swapped out the cupholders/phone dock for a large oddments tray. I drilled a large hole through the large oddments tray and ran both the aux cable and a USB flush mount cable through there.

Lastly, I ran wires through the armrest, into the trunk and through the back of the trunk to the license plate area to install a license plate holder with back up camera.

Much to my surprise everything works.

Pros:
-Anyone who didn't know better would think this was a stock system as it uses the iDrive screen, iDrive control unit and steering wheel buttons.
-Back up camera turns on when put in reverse and turns off when back in gear for a few seconds (other forums have claimed that you needed to press a button to activate/deactivate the back up camera).
-Tech support is great.

Cons:
-Installation is a pain.
-Back up camera image is shifted upward a bit on the screen. I have contacted support to see if there are any settings that can be adjusted. Also possible that it could be an issue with the camera itself.

My only fear with this system at this point is that if something ever goes wrong... ugh. It will be a hassle to diagnose and fix.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0