01-09-2019, 10:09 AM   #3
airmarc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 BMW Z4,'14 BMW X3, '17 X1

OMG Read this

Greetings all,
I was just about to post something on this. I just got my car back from the shop after 31 days at BMW. Same model and year as OP. My top also stopped midway during retraction and then did not move and gave me a red error light and message: "Convertible top movement impaired". Took it to BMW (extended warranty in hand) and they initially diagnosed it to a bad hall sensor. Turns out that was a mis diagnosis and after more labor hours, they found a broken ground wire in the top overhead panel. After fighting with my extended warranty company for 2 weeks the repair (replacement and re positioning of the entire ground wire wire) was approved. I hope this helps! Seems our cars are prone to chaffing in these wires, so we should do our best to inspect them as much as possible. Also one final note. Apparently there is an "emergency mode" so you can operate the roof manually. I had no idea, and still dont, how this mode works. If anyone knows, it would be helpful in situations like this, as I had to have my car towed in.
Appreciate 1