Captain
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW M140i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
Sigh.

Kept my first one for 8 years. I was lusting after an E39 M5 for a long time, and the only way to pull that off was to lose the Z4MC. So after carefully pondering it, I pulled the trigger and traded my Z4MC to EAG towards a super-cherry '02 M5 - 56k miles, spotless (as all EAG cars are), gorgeous. Flew into Cincinnati and drove the M5 all the way home to Arizona. I only paid $31,900 for that car in mid-2015. At EAG pricing. Seems SO cheap now.

I only kept the M5 for a year. My other car at the time was an E46 ZHP coupe. I found myself reaching for the E46 keys more often than the M5's keys, because I simply enjoyed driving it more, despite a 164-hp handicap. I loved the looks of the M5, but the driving experience just didn't move me. The lack of rack & pinion steering was a big part of it - all V8 E39's have recirculating ball steering, and it's numb and very not-BMW like. Meanwhile the rack in the ZHP is legendary, one of BMW's all-time best.

4 years ago I decided I needed another Z4MC in my life. I figured it would be a long search for the "right" car, but I found it right away, though it was across the country in Philly. 34k miles, Space Grey, non-nav (a must for me), pristine condition. Flew into see/drive and buy if all checked out, and it did.

Just over 2 years later, in early '21, I got hit, to the tune of about $10k in damage. It was fixed well but I knew I didn't want to keep it after that much damage. So while it was being fixed, I took the opportunity to order a '21 M2 Comp. This was early February. Great timing - was able to secure an allocation at MSRP, car delivered 3 months later without any delays. But I'll always miss the Z4MC. They are spectacular cars. If I had a place to park an additional car, I might be looking for another now.

Z4MC #1, purchased new in mid-2007...

#2, 2018...

Thanks Kevin for the awesome and well written story. Really appreciate!

I'm curious about why you mentioned non-nav it's a must for you and also did you got your hands on the M2C? Any pics of her/him

HGT'2022 |
M&M-PerformanceCC
Appreciate 0