View Single Post
      12-18-2022, 05:55 PM   #999
chad86tsi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M760i P60 Greyblack

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
If it takes this long, and I don't propose that it will or it won't, ICE technology will have that long to do what it always does: improve. 15 years is an eternity and significant progress is possible, on all technology fronts.

Capitalism works for both new/disruptive technologies as it does for the status quo. Today's invested assets in combustion technology will adapt (improve) in response to competitive forces from non-combustion.

The dominant technology 15 years from now will be the one that meets society's needs fastest and with the least amount of capital deployed. Capital comes from the private sector, make no mistake.
Hybrids will be a good next step. We have already done well with them. I had a good one 14 years ago. 35 MPG city, and it drove better than the gas engine variant. We should focus more on this first, let the EV thing evolve naturally rather than by forced mandate.

Quote:
Electricians will be trained and hired and grid expansion will happen, if this is needed to support the dominant technology described above.
When I hear that, it's kind of like telling a coal miner to just become a computer programmer.

Electricians are in short supply because not many are suited to it. It's one of the highest paid crafts, and we still can't get enough to do it. It's not for lack of need or compensation.
Appreciate 2
chassis6536.00
Cos270608.50