View Single Post
      03-31-2020, 06:33 PM   #1
7thGear
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 Z4 35i

Drive modes again

Many of you guys have seen the chart showing what happens to steering, suspension and shift characteristics in the Comfort, Sport, Sport+, DTC and DSC OFF settings.

I've never liked this chart because it doesn't show all the combinations. For instance, what if you're in Sport mode AND you press DSC OFF at the same time (both DTC and totally off settings)? The chart doesn't show that.

One combo doesn't make sense - Sport+ and DTC - since you get DSC off (DTC on) in Sport+ automatically. But what about regular Sport mode? Can I turn DSC off completely (long button press) while in regular Sport mode? The chart doesn't indicate it, and the manual is notoriously non-helpful.

I'm new to the car, so I decided to test the interaction between the DSC off modes and the Sport/Sport+ modes. I went for a short drive since it was a nice warm day.

Problem is, as soon as you hit the DSC OFF button (either short or long press), the cluster display no longer shows which drive mode you're in. I didn't detect any differences in chassis stiffness or steering feel, so I'm not sure what it's doing. It's possible that as soon as you turn DSC off completely (long press), it automatically puts you in Comfort.

Does anybody know what happens to the setup in these instances? I honestly couldn't tell.

Sport, DTC on (DSC off)
Sport, DSC off competely
Sport+ DSC off completely

Thoughts appreciated.