03-05-2019, 05:31 PM   #51
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
While I acknowledge the fact that this is a private company making this decision and not a a governmental one; Volvo themselves describe their intentions as very slippery slope like. You'll notice in their press release the following...

Apart from limiting top speeds, the company is also investigating how a combination of smart speed control and geofencing technology could automatically limit speeds around schools and hospitals in future.

Also there's this too...

"We want to start a conversation about whether car makers have the right or maybe even an obligation to install technology in cars that changes their driver´s behaviour, to tackle things like speeding, intoxication or distraction"

They're actually want to "start a conversation" about installing technologies in their cars that would "tackle" speeding? Sounds to me like limiting top speed, and speed around designated areas, is only the beginning of their speed control. How long until these hospital and school geofences expand to entire metropolitan areas?

They promise to deliver more information later this month...

Volvo Cars will present ideas to tackle the problem areas of intoxication and distraction at a special safety event in Gothenburg, Sweden on March 20.

Is there any surprise Volvo is owned by communist China? This just solidified I will never buy a Volvo. Thanks for starting the conversation Volvo! 🖕🏻🖕🏻🖕🏻

https://www.media.volvocars.com/us/s...eleases/249678