02-17-2022, 09:44 AM   #48
NoMoreVauxhalls
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 30d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan stewart View Post
LOL this is just silly. OK bro, enjoy the bourne fantasy that someone is hacking your door lock instead of just picking it, bumping it or smashing their way in. Youd think we would be hearing about it by now.
First – please don’t refer to me as ‘bro’. I find it condescending and patronising. I’m not your ‘bro’.

The OP of this thread shared his experiences and wanted to hear about the experiences and opinions of others. So you decide to go into attack mode and start calling people stupid, idiotic, and silly just for sharing their opinion? Really not called for, IMHO.

And, to be clear, I don’t have sleepless nights or tremble in my boots about smart locks. There’s all levels of criminal. There’s the ones that will smash your window to gain access, and there are the tech savvy ones who'll use completely different means. YMMV.

But for those tech-savvy ones, a smartlock is just some other thing to crack, just like the keyfob relay attacks that result in cars being stolen right off their owner’s drives. Smartlocks use some form of wireless to function, and as long as they do that, they are susceptible to hacking. End of. How big of a risk is it? I don’t know. And frankly, I really don’t care as I wont be using one anytime soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan stewart View Post
I like how everything is like politics now. Someone posts about a subject a bunch of people have zero knowledge on and a baseless opinion on and they just cant help but come in and share their stupid opinions.
It's called a forum. OP asks a question, and is interested to hear about the opinions and experiences of others. Don't agree? Fine - not everyone has the same point of view - but do it in a cordial way. Also, no politics here.

Lastly, for the record, I’ve worked in the computer security industry for almost 30 years in many different domains. I also hold a number of security-related US patents. So I know a fair amount about the varied threats and vulnerabilities that are present, and I'd say that my security knowledge is probably just a smidge more than "zero".

OP - apologies for derailing this thread.
Appreciate 0