View Single Post
      05-05-2021, 02:57 PM   #2057
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntg44 View Post
I post this article every time this topic comes up. Only because this has happened to me so many times that I knew there was something wrong with me and why car salesman appear to hate me. I've since changed my buying strategy for new cars and this article has helped me to do that:

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...o-enthusiasts/

Is it fair? No, but it's the reality of things and if you adapt a little, you'll end up in the car you want for a little less of a discount than you were hoping for and a lot less frustration.
As someone who has bought a fair number of new cars from dealers, this is precisely it.

I know years ago at 28? When I ordered a '13 Mustang GT Track Pack. I went by the dealership to test drive one. And indicated I was interested in a base with that package, nothing they had on the lot.

I called the salesman back the next day and said, "You're location is convenient for me both from home and work. I want this car, this color, these package, these options. Call me back with a good number and I'll be there in 15 minutes to give you a $1000 deposit so we can get it ordered."

He called me back about a half an hour later, 10% of MSRP, and I went and gave him a deposit. I lucked out and my car only took 6 weeks instead of 12-14 weeks to be delivered.

The dealer with that one still marked up $10k. I wonder how much it's cost him on floor plan because of lazy salesman.
Appreciate 0