View Single Post
      12-04-2019, 01:51 PM   #20
hubbahubba
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54Yankee View Post
Lol. thats funny, the November start in my screen name threw you off, I get it.

We catch mako and thresher here within 20m but to get to good blue water( Hudson Canyon) for tuna, dolphin and wahoo is about a 70m run each way, not counting trolling time. Sometimes we get blue water eddies that pull off the Gulf Stream but can’t depend on that. It does get quite expensive in fuel costs. Sold my Grady but fish often on my buddies 30’ Grady Marlin with twin Yamaha 250’s. Four stroke but still swallows fuel at alarming rates running to and back from offshore. Usually run about 25 mph getting out and back depending on sea conditions. Sailing would take way to long to run that far unless one makes it a 2-3 day trip. It can get snotty up here pretty quick so you really need to make way home in a hurry. Great that you’re troll from sail, I’ve did only once when I was about 10 years old and went out on my grandfathers friends beautiful sail boat and trolled about 15m before the owner had enough and wanted to get going and line pulled in. Hooking nice Pelagic's from a sail must be a ton of fun.
You're right, a 70 mile run out would kill a day. On the longest days I would go 30 or so miles out to a high spot, then troll up a ridge for 10 miles, then back in. That would be a solid 18 hour day. I think the most miles I logged in a 24 hour period was 108.

The cool thing is that the fish were not always that far out. Kid you not, once saw breaking Yellowfin Tuna a mile out of the harbor, and Dorado from an inflatable just outside the harbor mouth. Hooked a 6' Mako once under full sail, that was brutal. Ended up getting it to the boat after an hour, and cutting it off. Any way I slice it, great times.
Appreciate 0