View Single Post
      02-13-2020, 06:27 AM   #13
KennyP
Lieutenant
Estonia
Rep
Drives: 2009 Havana E89 Z4 Sdrive35i

When taking oil filter housing apart be very careful not to get any debris in your oil. This goes even for oil filter replacement.

Just had my gaskets changed. Changed coolant, added some oil to make up for the oil lost.
Upon first startup for half a minute max all was fine. Then suddenly engine started sputtering, shaking and revs bounce up and down a bit. And CEL with limp mode soon followed. When checking fault codes it was Inlet Vanos Code.
So inlet Vanos solenoid was mechanically stuck and cam was off because of it.

Searhed online for 2 minutes and found out that its a common thing that could happen even in best service shops.

So next day both vanos solenoids came out and got cleaned. There are also Vanos non return valves that are located on side of the engine. These got removed and cleaned aswell. They have fine filters built in that can get clogged aswell.

After doing all that car runs perfect... Better than before for sure. Probably needed cleaning anyway.

So a small heads up. Be careful changing oil filter and housing gaskets. Can easily get 4 hours of extra work if not careful.