11-26-2022, 01:50 PM   #14
KennyP
Lieutenant
Estonia
Rep
Drives: 2009 Havana E89 Z4 Sdrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by javis20 View Post
So with KWV3 shocks, one would have to pull all 4 tires to adjust the shocks from a nice soft ride to a performance ride? I think I would prefer to just push a button.

Front rebound is easy just lift the bonnet/hood and use the knob on top of strut tower.
Front and rear compression can be done say on a garage floor... you can turn front wheels all the way out to get better access to the front compression knob... and if you lay on the floor you can access rear compression settings under the car aswell.. Not elegant but it can be done.

But rear rebound is almost impossible to change without jacking up the car...
When car is on the ground rear wheel to fender gap is so small you cant get in there. For access jacking the car up from the rear jack/lift point is enough to get enough wheel gap to change rear rebound. You dont have to remove the wheels to change settings. You can but its not necessary.

Of course a lift would make things way simpler.

Adjustability isnt there for constant settings changes. Its there so you can dial your suspension in the way you like it or whats best for the roads you drive all the time.
Yes you can do track days and change settings at the pits between sessions. Just bring a jack for it. And usually there are quite long breaks between track sessions. But thats not the main point.

Basically if you almost always after the car has warmed up switch to sport+ mode already then it doesnt matter... you can basically have sport+ suspension all the time.
And softer settings is where KW V3 actually shines. You want some flexility from your suspension to maintain comfort and tire contact with the road not bump around in a racing go-cart.

Of course electronic control would be nice. KW has such a series.. KW DDC that is basically KW V3 with electronic adjustment.
They did offer it for for example e92 M3. That kit has i believe has plug and play oem damping functionality with modes button + you can change settings in a mobile app. But sadly KW did not develop it for the E89 Z4. Too small market i guess. and it costs like a 1000 eur or so more than V3.

Last edited by KennyP; 11-26-2022 at 02:03 PM..
Appreciate 1