Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFerry View Post
Ultima RS Build 07 - First Drive!

What else comes close for the money?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
The SS 1LE definitely still a leg up on a PP2, although the PP2 is decent, it's the first "serious" package I think with that car and I wouldn't kick it out of bed. Mustang has struggled to answer to cars like the SS 1LE and ZL1/1LE IMO. They are actually heavier than the equivalent Camaro with their new independent rear suspension and Ford has always handicapped them with skinny wheels/tires and poor suspension. They finally have managed to produce the Mach 1, but it's years down the road now. The SS 1LE is about in between a GT350 and GT350R in terms of all out performance, but those were a crazy premium over the SS 1LE. That's what we were comparing against for the longest while. Now Ford has the Mach 1, so the PP2 and Mach 1 kind of bracket it, the Mach 1 being a little bit faster around a course with the stats I've seen.

Once you get up to PP2 levels as far as suspension and performance, it's going to be a lot more about a driver's race. IMO, Ford is a little less serious about performance overall, leaning more towards selling the car based on other factors. It's not that they can't do it, but they usually choose not to. Chevy goes a little more all-out IMO, as seen by cars like the CT5 Blackwing, etc. Not that the GT500 isn't impressive, it definitely is and it doesn't suck in the handling department either...but everything they do in this area is a Mustang of some sort.

For so long the US "sports cars" weren't serious, it was hard to call them "sports cars". When I saw the SS 1LE and just the improvements from generation to generation, I knew I had to have it, since "this was serious car" and possibly one of the last great manual-trans cars. It also handicaps GM though, since most people that buy cars like this aren't looking for a serious car and at the lower levels, like V6 and I-4, there are much better choices IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
I rented a PP2 vert last month, TREMENDOUS engine, just tremendous. I actually prefer it needing to rev a bit, more theatre. But man, the nose is sooooo long and it felt heavy up front. I usually drive smaller cars with smaller engines (alfas) when hustling so this felt very long nosed.
I second what James said. I used to own a 2-14 GT Track Pack Mustang. Learned to drive on the track in that car, which I am very thankful for. Why? Because it was very hard to extract lap times from, and you had to have great reflexes to catch the oversteer it always wanted to produce. I went down the rabbit hole with mine too. Sway bars, dampers, camber plates, springs ..... the list went on.

The M2 was way easier to drive fast by comparison. I had to un-learn some of the habits I developed to keep the Mustang in check. But they still came in handy when going for lap times on the 'Ring, like in the quick videos below.

The PP2 was the only Mustang I thought was worth the investment for a while. The Mach 1 is the one now, since PP2 is discontinued now. But the Camaro Puts up identical lap time to the GT350R, which is really impressive. Also the Mach is about 8-10k over the price of a 1LE!!!

The Camaro is the complete package. The cooling for the trans, oil, dif. The sticky 285/305 rubber, the 6 piston brakes with integrated cooling ducts. And of course the party trick, Performance Traction Management with it's 5 different modes. You literally point the car where you want it to go, and smash the throttle. The engine management does the rest. Results in maximum possible forward acceleration regardless of traction limitations. It's like cheating.

Anyway, at the bottom I have the PP2 vs 1LE comparo from Throttle House. Entertaining stuff. Both cars are good for sure.

OP, sorry about the
2018 Camaro SS 1LE. Because race car!

"Redline a day keeps the mechanics away"
Appreciate 1
mikado463468.00