04-07-2012, 05:51 AM   #41
shenglin
New Blood
Singapore
Rep
Drives: --

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morning Hawk View Post
Instead of having an "M Performance" category that takes away from the "M" meaning, it would have been nice if BMW called that in-between category the "S" line. So something like:

335i - baseline
335is - probably not necessary
S3 - Sport performance
M3 - Motorsport (highest) performance

This would cater to those who never wish to ever track their car but want some of the M performance parts and the aero package without the complete M car/engine. Would cost less and meet a new price point...

Kind of along the same lines of how the new M5 has the separate categories for some of the different driving modes:
- Sport (think of this as the "S")
- Sport Plus (consider this the "M")

This is just IMHO how I would have done it if I were BMW President & CEO for a day....
That's what Audi is doing.
A5, S5 and RS5.

Clearly, they know how to cater to the upcoming generation of simple and minimalist approach to marketing.

I just hope that these M-performance vehicles can be less confusing to the general public as the days go by. I wouldn't wish to have the need to explain to my friends that my car is a sporty version of the 3 series but not yet a M3. Doesn't sound cool.

People drive M3s overseas while we can only afford public transport in my country..
Appreciate 0