01-26-2024, 09:34 AM   #23
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
My Exige is 1,875 lbs, and you're welcome to come drive it any time you like! This experience, my friend, will change your perspective on what a Sports Car is. It's not simply about fun, or weight, or manual, or 2-seat, or open-top, or RWD, it's all of the above, and something BMW has never offered.
I've driven an exige before so I'm well aware of what it offers. But it hasn't been in production for several years (unless you consider ultra-rare special editions). But for production cars, lotus doesn't make anything south of 3k lbs.... does that mean they no longer qualify as a sports car maker? BTW they're also coming out with an SUV. The reason the definition of a "sports car" is fluid is because the industry itself is changing. If you want to maintain a hard line on what a sports car is, then that's certainly your prerogative. But you're essentially saying typical sports car manufacturers like Ferrari and Mclaren no longer offer sports cars because their road cars weigh significantly more than cars from many years ago.

The whole premise behind all this is because of the comment "I remember when BMW made sports cars". IF they did at one point then they sure as hell do now as well. But if they never did, then it's a moot point anyway.

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 0