Quote:
Originally Posted by SSW
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneRib View Post
Jed York has done some good things
1- Hired Harbaugh
2- Built a stadium
3- Handled the Crabtree holdout
I think time will tell whether building the stadium in Santa Clara wasn't such a great idea. The Yorks were dead set on building that stadium and refused to work w/the City in order to build one there.

The team has always been identified with San Francisco but, as a native San Franciscan, I do not identify w/the team any more, especially since it's run by owners from Ohio and is located in Silicon Valley over 40 miles away from the City. Frankly, I'd prefer it if they'd complete the split by renaming the team the Santa Clara or Silicon Valley Forty Niners, so that San Francisco won't have to be associated with the mess they've made of the team in any way anymore.

Some local businessmen saved the Giants from being sold and moving from the City. Perhaps there are some other local businessmen in the City who might be interested in trying to save the Niners in a similar way. We lifelong 49er fans can only hope.
Never lived in San Fransisco so I can't comment on local feelings about moving to Santa Clara. I will say the info I heard was SF wasn't offering a realistic stadium plan or financing. I think they should have just rebuilt on the current Candlestick site and played at Stanford or Cal for two years like Minnesota is doing.

Also being from NJ, I am quite used to teams being called NY and playing in NJ.
Appreciate 0