04-09-2024, 01:20 PM   #12
BlkGS
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteVTEC View Post

What would you have suggested then? All things are relative. They weren't gonna go for a Kia/Chevy/whatever, EV or not. I did suggest a RAV4 Prime, but that was "basic b*tch" to them and didn't want another Toyota. Also mentioned X3 or a Mustang Mach-E, but no interest there either. And is something with a 0-60 in the 4 second range really a basic b*tch car? Lol.

Not too concerned about resale. If you bought in the past two years and paid 60-70k+, yes, you're hosed. Buying now, after price cuts last year, and on an in stock model with $5k on the hood, I think you're pretty safe. They will drive it for the next 10-15 years, so with that mentality you just have to be happy with what you pay right now, and not what it might be worth later. This is the first time I've ever heard of Tesla having a massive oversupply of in stock vehicles, and putting $5k on their hoods for people to drive away in them. They said the lot was overflowing with unsold vehicles.

Everything does 0-60 that fast now because of EVs. And Tesla is now the official car of basic bitch. They're the fake Gucci bag of cars, people buy them to pretend they're nice cars, but everyone knows they're cheap crap that's way worse than any other mainstream brand.

X1 M35i would have been more fun. Or a Mini Countryman. Or an Edge ST. Or a Mazda. Or any number of other things. The only reason to buy the tesla is if all you care about is cheap 0-60, or you have a consistent but long commute.

In 10 years, that model Y will have essentially no value. EVs are changing too quickly, tooamy concerns with battery lifespan, and too small of a customer base to have .much resale.
Appreciate 0