05-08-2014, 06:45 PM   #35
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpwheels View Post
At the end of the day, if you're happy with it and everything is working, it was worth it. Btw, when you have a tune that requires an upgraded IC, I believe they increase the boost to offset the increased resistance of the bigger IC and add fuel because the cooler air is more dense and can burn more fuel. The engine would still run with a stock IC, but would likely run too hot and the air/fuel mixture would be off.
I agree with everything you said except the part in bold. I seem to recall seeing many of the aftermarket FMICs touting reduced pressure drop, meaning that you get more boost for the same compression from the turbo.

So, for example, whereas 10 psi of pressure might be reduced to 8.5 psi after going through the OEM FMIC, you might be left with 9 or 9.5 psi after going through an aftermarket FMIC. This is typically due to the improved flow characteristics of the aftermarket options, in particular the end tanks. If so, this means the turbo does not have to create as much pressure on the front end to achieve its intake psi targets.
Appreciate 0