03-01-2024, 07:58 AM   #21
Scythe17
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2010 M3 E93 6 Speed

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Our03z4 View Post
Glad you got it going again! Personally I wouldn't have any of these cars if I couldn't do the work my self. My Mini, just bought for a steal at $1k but knowing it needed $8k worth of work. Did it all myself for less than $2k and now I have a perfect running and driving car. Ducati ST3 needed $1400 clutch and some other things, bought the bike for $1k and found it was just a bad kickstand fuse lol. I try to buy the cars cheap (from people that can't do repairs) and fix them so when they break I don't feel bad but instead it gives me something to do.

Basically what I'm saying is high mileage German cars WILL need lots of work and they will break the bank if you can't do it yourself. I currently have 9 cars, mostly German, and rarely do they go to a shop.

How much did the engine repair cost?
I won't be disclosing the actual total price, as that would be unfair towards the shop that did the work, he's a good guy running his own shop. So with respect to the grind, I can say this, parts are parts. Minus the VAC rod bearing kit which I bought separately for the rebuild, parts alone are still gonna be over 8K for anyone trying to make sure it's done right (if you don't need cylinder heads, sleeves, or a new block). I will not discuss labor costs.

With that said, some advice to those who do blow up an S65 and *can't* do the job themselves: If you screw up a piston, and you also need either a new block, sleeves, or just 1 cylinder head; it may be wise to sell your shell and buy a whole different E9x M3.
Appreciate 1