View Single Post
      09-29-2016, 09:50 PM   #29
fmorelli
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Atacama Yellow 35i

Hi All, let me throw up some exhaust info as a few people have already PM'd questions. I'm posting early rather than waiting until I have everything. These are first photos, and a video WHICH IS USELESS FOR SOUND. Do not even try to figure out the sound. When I have the car back, I will take my Zoom H4N and will do proper idle and rev outside of car, along with an in-car recording to give you a realistic idea of the sound. I'll forego describing sound as it is in one's mind, sort of, but I will say it is undoubtedly much louder, deeper than stock.

The exhaust was done in Pasadena, MD by Mandrel Bend Solutions. It is a work of art in my opinion. We talked to them briefly in advance. They spec'd out the system specifics, I chose the tips from a few selections. While I was inclined toward Borla, they pushed me to Magnaflow, saying their experience is better longevity. We told them we would run post-cat 02 sensors behind mid-pipe cats, so they ran high flow ceramic cats that are EPA/CARB49 approved. The system is 2 1/2" back (plenty for the HP gases we'll push) They built the exhaust behind the downpipes: mid-pipes, catalysts, H-pipe, tail-pipes, 1 in 2 out pair of Magnaflow mufflers, two-wall quad-tip staggered tailpipes. All in stainless steel. Most of the exhaust is mandrel bent. They do not butt weld, but rather do slip-joints. As I said, the exhaust is a work of art - shame it is under the car. As for cost, it is well less than the two remaining systems one can buy - Eisennman or Remus - and mine includes high flow catalysts in the mid-pipes. These guys have a huge German made mandrel bending device, and have the digital measuring tools and ability to CAD design the system. We brought them the full stock exhaust (off the car in our case) so they had a reference point.

Again, these are early photos. I'll hope to have better representations in time:

Right exhaust tips:

Left exhaust tips:

Exhaust mount:

Under rear plate:

High-flow EPA/CARB49 ceramic cats, behind the trans in the driveshaft tunnel:

H-pipe post cats (works fine on a turbo car):

And while I posted these photos earlier in the thread, I'll put them here for completeness sake ...

Exhaust from rear:

Exhaust tips head on:

Tip stagger:

Finally a quick video. Again please note DISREGARD sound as it gave no sense of how good the exhaust does sound. I'll post better sound later.

I wish everything I had for this car was of this quality of fit and finish. These guys at Mandrel Bend Solutions are top shelf in my book.

Filippo

Last edited by fmorelli; 09-30-2016 at 01:30 PM..
Appreciate 1
jts1981212.50