View Single Post
      12-21-2008, 10:23 AM   #1
xxForgedxx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Slow/Fat

What should I do with this money?

Ok so I just found out and I am almost positive I will be getting around $2,500 in January along with a $500-700 tax return I believe. I am in College and I don't have a car but what I do have is pointless debt that I created for my self VIA credit card and crap. I will not be able to work as much once I start back up school again because of school and ROTC. I will be getting paid $350.00 per month with ROTC as well as my E-5 drill pay $240.00 or so. I have the following bills to take care of per month (not much, but too much for a college student at a Big Ten school I think)

Credit Card: $1,500 or so... I have not used it in almost 2 years because I have been paying it down, it is closed out and I have payments set up to be directly withdrawn from my account @ $40.00 a month, it isn't really getting rid of the balance but it is maintaining it. Not a huge hit to my monthly income but having it off my back entirely would be nice

Military Star Card: $900 or so... I don't use it unless I am on base but really don't need it even if I am. Payments are $90.00 a month

Jewler Account: $700 or so, useless... I hate these guys but could I do something more usefull with this money than pay these DB's off?

Settlement: Now this is a big hitter, $3,800 over 18 months and I have paid 2 payments so far @ $217.00... I could pay my payments ahead for months and almost be done with it? I would have $217.00 less to worry about for quite a while and then forget it all. I sold my car because I couldn't afford this and my payment/insurance/gas

Those are my debts and these are the scenarios I came up with:

OPTION 1:

Pay off
-Military Star
-BOA Credit Card
-Jewler Card

so that I only have the recording industry settlement payment to worry about and my cell phone bill monthly.

OPTION 2:

Pay off
-a good portion of each? Pay a solid chunk on everything/spread it out

OPTION 3:

-Buy a solid daily driver, having a car really does make life harder/suck... it would be paid off and I know how to shop well for a solid higher mileage or good daily driver car. Now I will have a car again but it won't be one I make payments on until I graduate and can buy whatever I want.

OPTION 4:

-Pay some of my debt, get a couple things for my self and feel good that I have a couple new toys and I paid off some stuff? I heard that it's a bad idea to dump all of a new lot of money into one thing because it makes you much less likely to do it again.

OPTION 5:

-Buy a riskier car ($1,000) and then apply the rest to debt? But the car may be more of a pain in the ass than what I am getting out of it...

Any other suggestions would be great. I don't want to regret what I do with this money and to be frank I'm tired of being the college kid that has to pay out more than anyone else while in school... Please though, don't get all mutual fund on my ass getting too deep into future planning and what have you. I am just not that guy who counts on life being there way down the road, you are never guaranteed a tomorrow so mix that with some responsibility lol.

Last edited by xxForgedxx; 12-21-2008 at 01:30 PM..
Appreciate 0