View Single Post
      12-07-2020, 08:33 PM   #30
proboner
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 3.0 6-speed

And I just had to finish her up today. Took a couple hours between work meetings and since I'd already learned the process on the passenger side and the drivers side has much more space, quickly got it done... and this time with better documentation

First lets start off with our results from last night, not looking to shabby.

And what we have to work with...

Wrapped the vband in tape to protect from welding slag, and tacked it to muffler.

Put the muffler/vband combo on the transmission jack and turned her up to the correct height and slide the other end of the vband over the stock exhaust pipe exit

Moved the trans jack forward to the front edge of the muffler and adjusted as necessary to center it in the bumper cutout.

Once all was in place, I got back under and tacked the vband to the stock piping.

Pulled the tape, loosened the vband clamp, and pulled the muffler out for finish welding.

As I rolled out from under the car, I happened upon this beautiful sight, and had to snap a quick pic

Then went back under the car and finish welded the vband on the exhaust side, from the inside.

Put it all back up into position, tightened the vband clamp, and put her back down on the ground to step back and admire.

Looking pretty good, the drivers side sits just slightly higher than the passenger... maybe 1/8". It's all good, I still need to fabricate points on the muffler to connect to each stock mounting point at the bumper, at which time I can try to work out the difference. Of course had to take her for a drive and I must say she sounds quite nice!

As noted previously, these are Varex mufflers with internal valves that you can open and close to make loud or quiet. Still need to run the wiring and mount the switch in the interior.
Appreciate 1
Ichiro5.00