View Single Post
      11-01-2020, 10:25 PM   #23
proboner
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 3.0 6-speed

What a weekend!

Saturday morning I set out to get the calipers put back together. After some frustration I eventually realized that the piston boot on the rear caliper needed to be deformed with a punch and pulled out. With that figured out, they all went together rather easily.

Before getting to work on the car, I wanted to document the before state with regular 35is brakes.

It's all straight forward and something I've done many times on other cars, but despite previous experience, there's always the specific nuance of a new car that builds that frustration. I managed to get the drivers side brakes and suspension finished by the end of Saturday.

Started early today decided to get a few more pictures of the differences between the stock setup and the new parts I was installing.

35is front calipers are much larger than 35i, but a lot the size is superfluous.

The rears look and may in fact be basically the same, except that the caliper brackets are obviously a bit different to accommodate the larger rotors.

And as can be seen the rotors are both a bit larger in diameter, but are also thicker

Also compared the rear springs. ST -> H&R -> Stock

And front springs. ST -> H&R -> Stock

Although the the ST front's are taller than the H&R, the spring perch on the strut is considerably lower.

Although I must say I'm a bit upset that the shock isn't located lower in the strut body. This is usually done on aftermarket lowering springs to keep lowered cars in the shock sweet spot. sigh.

So today I finished up the passenger side install, which went much faster. Unfortunately found that the 513M wheels are now rubbing on the coil seat! Haha, it's never ending. Oh well, now at least I have an excuse to buy the new wheels and tires.

Still need to get the ride height figured out and the brakes bled. I bought speed bleeders to make the bleeding easy, but I've done quick bleeds twice now and still have air in the lines.

Thats all for now.
Appreciate 0