View Single Post
      07-09-2022, 10:27 AM   #660
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

BMW isn't willing to sacrifice safety in the name of ultimate feel as the more powerful motors used don't transmit feel like other EPS systems with smaller motors as per Jason Cammisa.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...hing-you-want/

Quote:
As I was sliding backward off the track, all I could think was that I couldn’t turn the wheel quickly enough to correct the slide. Which is funny, because I had just finished praising the GT350 for its heroically communicative electric power-assisted steering (EPAS). I was mildly relieved when I later learned that multiple colleagues have spun GT350s trying to hold drifts. So I added a few notes to OCD.xls, including “Never powerslide a Shelby, ever,” and “Have more sympathy for drivers wadding up Mustangs on their way out of Cars and Coffee events. Maybe it’s not entirely their fault.”

That got me thinking. I’ve done literally thousands of drifts in BMWs, for example, and never lost control of a car like I lost that Shelby. I talked to BMW’s head of chassis tuning about this, and it turns out, he’s found that some cars don’t measure up to several of his company’s maneuverability tests.
Appreciate 1