07-02-2017, 10:44 PM   #6
Tangent
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01, F82, E89, F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyGuy View Post
I'm getting mixed info on this. Some say dealer needs to install to register it. Ive read a post they their Indy said it's not needed anymore and registration was only needed because BMW was gathering data on non-eom batteries.

My battery has an indicator that is currently green, but my indy (which I'm not sure I trust) said it failed the load test and needs a new battery for $350. Autozone has a battery for $175 that Id like to install IF I actually need it.

I'm a new '09 Z4 35i owner so this is all new to me.
Battery registration is absolutely needed if you're replacing the battery. OP didn't need to simply because he was just disconnecting and then reconnecting that same battery. Like jparnes1 said it had nothing to do with collecting info on non-OEM batteries. Our cars actually use different charging profiles depending on battery age, construction (AGM vs Lead acid), and capacity. Part of BMW's Efficient Dynamics system means that unlike traditional battery charging, it tries to avoid putting a load on the alternator while you're cruising and will instead charge at a faster rate every time you coast. Your car develops a map of how the battery takes a charge and as it ages the car will provide more power. Put a brand new battery in with the car using that map and you'll overcharge and damage it. Same for putting a different type or capacity in it; the car might attempt to charge it faster than it can take without damage.

The cheapest way to replace the battery is to pick up the appropriately sized one at your local auto parts store (I got the H6-AGM that you're probably looking at at my local AutoZone for $175 minus $15 with this coupon), and then I used the Carly app ($59 which includes a bunch of cool functions already plus the $10 for the battery registration module) with their adapter which runs about $40. (it won't work with a generic adapter) The nice thing is the app, adapter, and battery registration module are all one-time purchases so the next time you need to replace a battery in a BMW you just need to get the battery. Plus in the mean time you can enjoy coding all kinds of cool features with the app.
Appreciate 0