View Single Post
      04-27-2015, 11:03 AM   #33
Dejablue
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 SDrive 35is

Quote:
Originally Posted by dim3314 View Post
Did you ever find a Z4 that matched your wishlist?
Funny you should ask…
I closed on my refi last Friday, and so all of the research and compiling of potential Z4 purchases is coming to fruition with my funds arriving in a day or so.
Then the real fun begins…

I have learned so much more about the sales trends and just the overall model that I ever expected.
I have stayed away from boring the local forum members about my quest!

Waiting to get all my financial ducks in a row has benefitted me by being able to finely tune exactly what I need to have in my car.
At this point, I know more about a dealership's new trade-in than they do…and often sooner too.

I have conversed with several dealers (mostly of the private nature) over these months and found many great resources along the way.
For me, the one biggest frustration is the lack of inventory in my area in Massachusetts. So there is always the added expense to ship the car I'd like. This varies by location, but from California it is an added $1100.00.
For some reason it's Texas, California or Florida where most of these Z4 derive from.

I'm psyched and very much wanting to get beyond the negotiation process and start enjoying the new Z4, but I must still be patient. I don't want to make a mistake or choose too early and have something else show up too late.

Buying used is a compromise, but mostly about color combinations because all of the important stuff is non-negotiable for me ( iDrive, DCT and sports seating)
One big challenge I have is usually about an interior color I have not seen in person. Photos of the red leather for example look different on every car!
I know which combination I would like best, but that seems to be out of my control for the most part.
Pricing can be from one extreme to another with cars equipped similarly as well. A lot of dealers mark up the car initially, and come to terms with the market sometime later. That presents a frustration for me, because i am tracking new cars to the market in several ways, so I often hear that they can't reduce the price because they just got the car and haven't had time for it to sit on the lot long enough yet.

It's important to know from a dealer or buyer's side that these cars are among the least practical cars you could buy, and the ones who do buy are a very limited demographic.
Of course a dealer is reluctant to admit that these are not great selling cars, and everyone is looking to deal.

I am a researcher by nature so this long protracted exploration is just the way I do this stuff, and many others may have not tortured themselves as much as I have about the purchase, but hopefully it will all be worth it!
Appreciate 0