View Single Post
      05-18-2023, 05:00 AM   #39
Patton250
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3,M5,Turbo S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugly Kar View Post
I find it interesting that those who seem to like the new design direction at BMW always have to provide a subtle insult to those that don’t by saying it’s old men yelling at clouds. Next it will be another narrative such as the people that don’t like the new BMW design language don’t like smart phones and think ChatGPT will destroy the world. It’s always some subtle insult about age or intelligence.

I suppose there could be some correlation with like/dislike of the new BMW designs and age, but I have yet to see any studies, much less any data. I also suppose there also could be a correlation in age between those who like great artists such as Rembrant, Renoir, DaVince, Michelangelo and those who like trash from Diebenkorn and Cattelan, but I’m not sure. I did read one study that said Millennials like fine art more than Baby Boomers.

One thing I do know is what automotive journalists think of the new BMW design language. Every article I’ve read reads like this:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news...ng/ar-AA1bgnmC

And don’t even get me started on the, “BMW is selling every car they make”. So is every other car company, and the wait on some KIA’s in longer than the wait on most BMW’s and they have greater dealer markups.

The one question I keep asking the people who like the new BMW design language will never answer is, “Why does a design have to be hideous to be new, modern, contemporary, futuristic and state of the art”?? Ferrari has always been a leader in introducing new state of the art designs and not once have I ever read a single statement from an automotive journalist calling a Ferrari design ugly. A number of car companies have introduced new designs recently that are modern, futuristic and state of the art and are also beautiful. The Peugeot Exalt is awesome, and that’s a Peugeot. The new Lexus LFA concept is awesome. And the ultimate insult about a great new futuristic design, “We strongly believe EV6 is a compelling and relevant model for the new EV market," Former BMW Design Chief Karim Habib said, Senior Vice President and Head of Global Design Center. "With EV6 we aimed to create a distinctive, impactful design by using a combination of sophisticated, high-tech features on pure and rich volumes, while providing a unique space as a futuristic EV." I won’t be mean enough to post the Frank Stephenson videos again. But Hyundai/Kia made a brilliant move by hiring all the really good BMW designers.

Another irony is that the new BMW design language isn’t new at all. In the 1970’s car companies tried odd, out of proportion shapes with no flow or complimentary nature to the whole car. It’s actually a step backwards. Just look at the original BMW M1, until it was revised in 2008 and then actually looked great. How about that Bricklin, AMC or anything Subaru? You can also check out disjointed lines and bad proportions from the 70’s, by Road and Track.

I think that’s the most ironic thing of all, the people saying those of us who don’t like the new BMW design language actually want to go back to a time of the worst design trends in history. Nothing could be more incorrect.

BTW, I also attached a couple of pictures that I know those who like the new BMW design language will certainly appreciate.
I’m pretty new to liking on BMW. Only about three years in now I guess. I still prefer Porsche. However, as I’ve been watching the argument between the love the new design crowd versus hate the new design crowd I can tell you my observations are the following. The I hate the new design crowd people are ruthlessly more consistent and cruel, as well as angry. It’s not even close. So I’m really not sure what you’re talking about. From my understanding, I only missed it by a few months, but when BMW released pictures of the new G80 it caused such a ruckus on this forum that quite a few people were banned and it’s my understanding that the vast majority of those people were the haters that were just relentless and wouldn’t stop.

BMW has still kept many models including many M models that have the same 30 year old grille. I own the M5. You don’t like that design also? I don’t think you have a problem with that. So they changed a handful of other ones that are obviously appealing to many new people. I do not understand why you guys have a problem with that. The funny part is the OP is convinced BMW is collapsing as a result of it.
Appreciate 0