02-06-2023, 10:18 AM   #1216
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conissah View Post
You're drinking the Tesla kool-aid and suckling on that Elon teet, that's fine.

You also completely ignored what I said. Just because YOU don't think they're a status symbol or luxury doesn't mean jack.

BTW, the KIA EV6 not only charges faster but can also use all chargers that use the STANDARDIZED J1772 plug, unlike Tesla with their proprietary connector. Kia is utilizing an 800v architecture whereas Tesla is stuck on 400v, meaning the EV6 or Ioniq can go from 10% to 80% in ~15 minutes. You probably wouldn't consider it though, because "Ew it's a Kia..."
I pretty much only charge at home and use the 110v super slow charger at that. However I did take a road trip from FL to NC in the model 3 once and have used the occasional supercharger outside of that trip.

That being said everything I have experienced, read and seen from other people online is that the Tesla charging network is vastly superior to what's available for other EVs. Just for starters that J1772 plug is clunky as fuck. While the Tesla plug may not be "standard" it's a far better user experience. There also isn't a whole bunch of different charge networks for which you need to have accounts for each etc. The integration into the Tesla nav etc is significantly better (from what I've read). So the Kia could probably charge faster in an ideal world with max charger output etc. I'm not sure that if my main concern with an EV purchase was being able to charge quickly on the road that I would consider anything other than a Tesla.

As I personally don't really care about that I would certainly consider the Kia or the new Hyundais, but I would care more about total range than charging capabilities. I also like many of the features of the Tesla (which may or may not be available in others) like using the phone as the key, the phone app to control AC etc. I saw a video of some EV, can't remember which, where they had to push the "ignition" button to start it. Why?
Appreciate 2