Not willing to take advice
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 - 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
Comments intended to be helpful for next time -

- consider using horseradish as a condiment at serving time, rather than an ingredient. Don't use it as a coating for the meat. Horseradish, especially fresh ground as you used, is the nuclear option for many people's palates. Allow diners to take as much, as little, or no horseradish as they wish.

- use less mustard, but don't eliminate it

- careful with the sear, the meat can cook more than you realize, and I am seeing this in the photos. Consider not searing. Searing generally is used for color and flavor, neither of which are lacking in Beef Wellington. An argument can be made that the sear patina is dissolved in the juices and liquids from the subsequent bake.

- precisely which cut of beef did you use? There appears to be a fat layer (yum!) however, I don't associate this with filet.
Definitely understand the items you had suggested.

Wife ended up getting a whole beef tenderloin from Costco (about 5 lbs) - I did cut the center section out (made fillets out of the rest for later) but did not trim up for this piece.

I've seen versions of wellington where they tie the strap, which is what I did, but if I were to do again, I'd trim off the that attached strap section, and go with the smaller piece that does not contain any fat.

That said, even with your recommendations, I be hard pressed to try this again.