05-18-2019, 06:35 AM   #756
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPatsFan View Post
Haaaa, I hear ya bro. But at our age ego lifting leads to injury. Train smarter not harder, words I live by now. I知 no stranger to stopping or backing off programmed weights if I知 not feeling right. It has definitely saved me multiple times. I値l ego lift the shit out of the gym if I知 feeling tip top, but if I知 healing or nursing an injury....no way.

Rmtt....I forgot to ask/mention Jefferson DLs. Are you familiar with this movement? They are another favorite of mine, kind of a combo between a DL and a Squat....sort of. They are a bit awkward until you get the technique down. But I will say they have definitely helped both my DL and Squat!

Example....today I did 10,10 (5 reps each side).6,6,6(3reps each side)4,4 (2reps each side) up to a finishing weight of 400. I will do these every few weeks as a variation. Curious your thoughts.
Holy crap.....I haven't seen Jefferson's in years. I remember a long time ago when I was young and stupid, and had a lower back injury I kept trying to train through.

My current gym owner who was a competitive powerlifter in the 70's actually showed me that exercise. It allowed me to deadlift with virtually no pain while my back recovered.

I remember it was a very awkward exercise for me to learn, but being short and having a short range of motion I got pretty decent at it.

I need to research it again as I used it as a means to an end, but I didn't really approach it from a "gains" perspective.

I honestly thought of it as a rehab exercise during the time!