vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
wait, NYS or NYC or both? I have unrestricted NYS but not valid in NYC or 5 boroughs
Just the state, which is useless in the city. I'm not rich enough to afford the bribes to get a NYC permit, and really don't go there very often.

Jackie Gleason lived in Westchester County when he applied, and they only gave him a restricted "sportsman" (range/hunting) pistol permit because they wouldn't issue unrestricted to ANYONE...even in the 1950's. Someone that I know joked that it was probably because of his image of domestic violence on TV - to the moon, Alice! An actual FOIA scan of his application is bouncing around the web, where someone crossed off "unrestricted" and wrote "sportsman" on the form.

On a side note, I found all of the documentation/forms for getting my South Carolina CCW last weekend. They issue non-resident permits for anyone who owns property in the state, so we just need to have the county tax collector fill out a quick certification and take their state's required safety class. Their non-resident permit won't let you buy in their state (gun show and private sale loopholes aside), and we couldn't bring anything purchased there back to NY State without jumping through months of flaming hoops to have it listed on our NYS CCW cards beforehand. Just planning for our ultimate escape.

I should also mention that SC is going restricted open carry and dropping CCW application fees on 8/15 or so. You still need the CCW to open carry, and the law is more or less to cover people who accidentally expose their CCW in public more than it is a "constitutional carry" like in other states. Hence, why I'm waiting a few more weeks before starting our non-resident SC paperwork, since it will be free to apply.....
upstatedoc7559.50