Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara View Post
Damn Yankees
I have a NY State license made of unobtanium in my wallet. Took a few years of jumping through flaming hoops to get, including three trips to the county jail, a hand truck load of forms (in triplicate), two home visits by sheriff deputies, in person interviews of four references, five trips to the notary, and an appearance before a judge. Something so rare that not even Jackie Gleason (of The Honeymooners) could get one at the peak of his fame. Yes, the coveted Willy Wonka golden ticket...an unrestricted NY State CCW pistol permit!

If you think that the Syracuse snowball thing is restrictive, NY State Penal Code prohibits even TOUCHING an *unloaded* pistol unless the person has some level of valid NY State CCW pistol permit. This includes the counter help at a sporting goods store taking a display pistol out of the display case, as well as a potential customer. No CCW permit, instant felony! Ditto for someone wanting to take shooting lessons at a range, even with a licensed instructor.

I bring this up because the process for getting a CCW requires owning a gun when the application is submitted, and including the serial number on the CCW application forms. Gun shops all have safes to store new guns (that you paid for) for the years it takes for your permit to clear. If you want to be an educated consumer and select a pistol by holding or actually shooting it before your purchase, that actually requires traveling to another state with less-restrictive laws...like New Jersey.....
Buug95917397.50