CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly320s View Post
My uneducated opinion in I.T. is that the really important stuff should never be connected to the internet. It isn't a matter of "if they hack us," but a matter or "when they hack us."

Why was an important oil pipeline connected/controlled by an internet connection? That is just plain stupid.
This.

The reason is to cut cost, maximize profit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
You couldn't go any worse than the clowns currently collecting pay checks in the IT field!

After 35 years, I seriously want to leave IT for the exciting world of pizza.....
I work with several different agencies being employed by an IT contractor, and I think the bigger problem is how businesses in general are run. It's very obvious when we take on a new client whether they see IT as just a service like cable TV, or if it is a tool they invest in to improve and strengthen their business. The businesses where information privacy is a liability tend to invest in much better security, where companies who don't give a shit if information gets hacked like Equifax could care less. A tool is only as good as the person (or organization) using it.

The truth is there should be a lot more security for critical systems like the pipeline and for our personal data, but placing priorities on profits and the way big tech operates doesn't allow for that.
Appreciate 2
vreihen1614889.50
Littlebear3508.50