vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscarrol View Post
Very nice! We are looking further west in the Greenville area and as far north as south Asheville. Had an empty lot in Asheville but decided to not build so sold that and will be looking houses.
I'm looking for land to build our proper retirement garage with a bedroom attached. We live in a small 2BR house in the woods now, and trees make good neighbors is my mantra. I don't want to be anywhere near an HOA, and have no lawn if I can get away with it. Oh, and a driveway so long and wooded that not even trick-or-treaters and Jehovah's Witnesses would walk up it! A steel barndominium is ideal for us, with an etched concrete slab and room to park cars in the living room or drive into the kitchen to unload groceries. Think Jay Leno's garage, sized for the middle class.

My SC search criteria was to find a depressed area, where property is cheap because there's no work. As a retiree (or WFH), local jobs don't matter. Seeing that the county I'm looking at has rural municipal water and gigabit fiber to the home even 15-20 miles outside of town, it has most everything that I would want. Knowing that Wal-Mart closed up their Supercenter because the county couldn't generate enough store traffic makes it even better to me.

My DW and I are not beach people, and I don't want to be near the coast or SC/GA low-country hurricane/flood risks. The crazy real estate market in Asheville has pushed Greenville and the western part of SC out of my price range and with almost NY-type property taxes. Plus, we'd both rather not see snow again in our retirement years. The I-77 corridor between Charlotte and Columbia has a lot to offer for our specific needs and future plans.....