View Single Post
      03-17-2021, 07:01 PM   #17
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosstones View Post
Congrats! I definitely agree w/ the trust but verify advice given here. I'm in ky 2nd "built for me" home and made sure to self-tour often. I caught a lot of things the site mgr should have. The construction mgr was actually glad/happy.

My thoughts (may or may not be applicable in your area):

1. One thing I always suggest is to take pix if EVERYTHING throughout the process. If nothing else, pre-drywall (& insulation). That way to have record of where everything and anything is run in the walls. I use my pix for reference all the time (eg LV wiring, load bearing studs, fire block, PVC, etc...

2. Something else useful is to have empty conduit run from the breaker box/electrical panel to the attic. It makes pulling wire for future DIY projects a LOT easier. I have a 2" dia pipe run from my basement breaker box to a large junction box in the attic. I also have a separate PVC raceway run from the basement to the attic (for LV stuff).

3. Determine if you want an Ethernet fabric throughout your home. Plan it out as best you can and run the Cat6A or Cat7 during construction.

4. Home theater? In-wall speaker wiring!

5. Wiring for home security stuffs (sensors, alarm, camera)? It's easiest to add it during construction (IMHO). I'm not a fan of WiFi for these things since WiFi more of a convenience thing. It is too easy to mess with.

6. If radon is a thing in your area (and mitigation isn't required by code), check out radon levels and put in a passive reduction system w/ an active option (or just go active) if needed.
Solid advice there! Thank you! Love the photos and the conduit to the attic idea. I'm a DIY'er for sure so I'll certainly be finding the need to add circuits, outlets, etc in the future. Knowing where everything is behind the walls is key. Definitely planning on having reserve room in the panel for new circuits but I would not have thought to put a chase up to the attic. I like it!
Appreciate 0