WhiskyPat12
Reclaiming My Time!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Dog View Post
That's a great list....the one thing I'll say to you and everyone else who says they are Single Malt fans or only drink single malts. Don't sell blends short. A blend is only made from Single Malts that are blended, the age statement is the youngest whiskey in the blend. So a 12 year old blend may also have 18 and 20+ year old whiskeys in it. There are some fantastic blends out there so don't be shy to give them a try.
Oh I don't sell blends short, I just haven't gotten into them deeply. I don't mind Chivas 12yo or the Johnny Walkers and I've heard amazing things about Compass Box. SMS is where I started, so that is kinda home base for me.

Some quick notes about Blends and SMS:
  • Single Malt Scotch means that it comes from a Single Distillery, and is malted barley. Unless it's single barrel or batch # it's likely multiple ages from that distillery in the bottle
  • Age statements only tell you the youngest age of spirit in a bottle, so you are correct on that point. The word BLEND doesn't have anything to do with age.
  • NAS or No Age Statements whiskys are awesome too, age is just a number, and does not really mean it's better
  • Blend means it has multiple distilleries and could mean other cereal grains that just barley (unless it specifically says Blended Malt, then its barley distillate from multiple distilleries)
Appreciate 0