SSW
I Can't Drive 55
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i (E90)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith. View Post
So no one ever wants to admit it but do you guys seeing the next couple of years a rebuilding period?
I think that it's pretty clear that the Niners are in disarray and that some serious "rebuilding" needs to be done and I think that it will take more than a couple of years to fix things.

As a long time Niners fan, I remember how long it took for the Niners to become a championship contenting team. Before 1981, when the Niners remarkably won their 1st Superbowl, the last time they were even in a "championship" game was in 1949, which they lost to the Cleveland Browns.

I was born in 1950, so didn't have the privilege of "being there" in 49, but I was a Niners "fan" for THIRTY YEARS (from 1960-1980) through the Tittle, Brodie, Plunkett and Deberg years, when the Niners never won a single conference or division title, before they won the SB in 1981.

With the arrival of Walsh in 1979 and Montana in 1981 and the transition to Seifert in 1989 and Young in 1991, the Niners became the team to beat in the 1980-90's -- apparently always in contention and winning 5 Superbowls in 11 years in that time. Beginning of the end of that era started w/Seifert's resignation in 1996 and Young's retirement in 1999 and concluded w/Mariucci's and Garcia's division title loss in 2002. The Niners did not begin to win again until Harbaugh arrived in 2011 -- 9 years later -- after they tried and gave up on Erikson (remember him?), Nolan, Singletary and Tomsula as head coach.

So, if Harbaugh leaves, we could see the same string of head coach try outs as we did between 2003-2010 before the Niners can find THE coach that can put this team back together. On the other hand, if Harbaugh stays, he'll have to figure out if he can stick w/his decision to go w/Kap as his QB or, do what he did to Smith, and bench him and go in another direction.

BTW, I just discovered that the Niners can bail on Kap w/o any financial risk whatsoever. Read about it here. So, if the Niners get rid of Harbaugh, they can start fresh and get rid of Kap too.

If they do that, the "only" problem will be to find a qualified head coach and a new "franchise" QB. Don't think there are many (if any) of either of those available out there right now. So, depending on what transpires, it could take a VERY LONG time before the Niners get the team back on track again.

We'll see . . .