View Single Post
      02-04-2023, 03:14 PM   #4
tekpro007
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 335is Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbimmer View Post
I'll chime in some knowledge of the area in question. Been through all these areas several times. Only recently started to "document them." First, this is a trip I hope to do when we replace my wife's X3. Might be another X3 or possibly an X5. Either way, 3000 miles back to Portland will be a grand adventure.

I have 3 trip threads here that may offer insight (lots of photos and maps) on which route you might like.

From 2021 Rocky Mountains (Covers a lot of the northern route you seek: Badlands, Mt Rushmore, Devils Tower, Custer Battlefield, Montana)
https://f90.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1865068

From 2022 Colorado (Covers a ton of scenic roads thru Colorado plus Arches and Dead Horse in Utah)
https://f92.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1966646

From 2019 Utah (Utah National Parks Loop)
https://f90.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1784425

Weather could be a factor in early April. The northern route would be, well, more northern, but the Colorado route would take you over 11,000 foot passes. I tried to leave for Death Valley last year on April 20th and I needed snow tires to get out of the state because of a freak April snowstorm. I would vote for a delay to May to be sure.

What do you want to see? Things or grand vistas? The Badlands are great, Mt Rushmore awe inspiring, Custer humbling, Devils Tower cool, Montana grand. You'd probably be on a lot of freeways. Don't forget Deadwood, Bozeman, Butte and Coeur d'Alene.

The Colorado route is spectacular. Skip Denver and I-70. I would get myself to Colorado Springs, then over to Durango. Hwy 550 north through the Million Dollar Road. Black Canyon of the Gunnison, loop through Grand Mesa, drive through Colorado National Monument near Grand Junction. Hop on I-70 but drop down to Moab and pick off Arches, Canyonlands and Dead Horse Point State Park if you haven't seen them. You'd be so close. Make your way to Park City, Boise and then home. Lots of 2 lane roads on this route. This would be my choice.

It would also depend on how much time you want to spend. We found 300 miles/day to be a limiting factor with all the sightseeing. 450 miles of freeway driving can work at 80 mph and the sightseeing is limited to mainly looking out the window.

We were also in a couple M5s and an M850. So, much roomier and a tad more luggage space.

Hope this helps.
Wow very beautiful cars! I love the M850. Your Colorado trip looks amazing. Coming from Nashville, wouldn't it be better to go across Monarch Pass and skip Durango?

I was thinking going from Colorado Springs ->HWY 24 -> Buena Vista -> Monarch Pass -> Back Canyon Nation Park -> Grand Mesa -> Salt Lake City -> Boise -> Seattle. I have been to Moab multiple times and seen arches, so I think I might skip that. I haven't been further east of Moab though.

I would be going in the first week of April. I don't mind cold, but I was hoping it would be sunny at least. What do you think?
Appreciate 0