09-16-2016, 11:07 AM   #29
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS3

Quote:
Originally Posted by antych View Post
WTF, did you live under a rock? Do you know how dietary guidelines are established and their effect on government policy and food industry? Ever heard of diet heart hypothesis? That's how they are responsible. They changed what we eat decades ago.

Blaming the "patient" is exactly what food industry and incompetent health "professionals" do. Give people bad diet advice, then blame them for being fat because they don't exercise more.
And you completely discount personal accountability. How exactly is a medical professional supposed to fix socioeconomic issues, cultural imperatives, and environmental factors? These are all contributors to obesity (and other health issues).

Simply put, if someone is committed to being healthy, health professionals have all the tools necessary to assist them (and csu's point about dietician vs nutritionist is completely valid). If they don't however, there's nothing that the medical profession can really do. The addiction analogy is entirely appropriate in that context.

Is the food industry deplorable? Pretty much ... you get no argument from me. But that doesn't make them responsible for parents completely abdicating their responsibility to help their children grow up healthy and that doesn't give obese adults a pass for not taking ownership of their situation.

I know SFA about the ketogenic diet and am not passing judgement. It may be entirely effective, but only if the individual is committed to being healthy. That's true of any other published diet. However, it is also true that many of these diets are no healthier for people than "The Biggest Loser" is. I don't know (or care) which group the ketogenic diet falls into. I'm healthy and lean because I eat relatively well, don't drink to excess, don't smoke, and am somewhat active. Guess what? I know that doesn't work for everyone because obesity is a complex psychological and physical issue. IF someone's obesity is rooted in psychological overlay, there is no diet that's going to help and guess what ... the "junk science" professional who can treat the underlying cause is the right answer when the patient is committed to their own good health.
Appreciate 0