View Single Post
      09-09-2016, 09:50 AM   #3
fmorelli
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Atacama Yellow 35i

Like any project in my experience, I needed constraints. This is especially the case with a turbo car where things can get really out of hand. I was not familiar with the N54 platform, which was part of the reason for doing this, and for that matter the E89 chassis. After some research I decided the following:
  • retain stock turbos
  • retain stock clutch
  • no coilovers

The target for the car is street use, so this further makes some choices not so picky. I felt the stock turbo / clutch combo meant a 500whp possible car, which is certainly healthy for a circa 3,300 lb car.

One thing I left open was exhaust, which caused me to vacillate on extent and choices. Ultimately I decided to do a complete exhaust. So with that said, here's a public Google Sheet which we are using to manage what's been done. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing. I'll not duplicate the spreadsheet information here.

In the next few posts I'll look to talk about different sections—suspension, engine, etc—and discuss specific choices and install experiences. Eventually as the car is on the road I'll have additional observations.

Filippo