View Single Post
      10-24-2011, 03:52 PM   #3
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Great advice from Carve. So you already bought a bike like one of the ones pictured? It's likely to be comfortable, but might be a bit less so for longer rides. Fit will be paramount, and I'd imagine that if you find you like cycling, you'll move to a proper road bike or mountain bike before too long. To be fair, I see folks with mountain bikes and hybrids at longer rally rides and centuries, so it's not like it can't be done.

Take Carve's advice about saddles. It's true, bigger is almost never better, as they frequently cause your hips to rock back and forth, instead of being stationary, like a proper saddle should. Padding is the same, too much is worse than not enough. A proper pair of bike shorts goes a long way to making things more comfortable.

The same is true for gloves, I prefer no or minimal padding and find that padding tends to be comfortable for about the first twenty miles then turns into a burden, all mushy and imprecise.

Wear a helmet, any helmet. I've broken a few in crashes and wouldn't be typing this if I hadn't been wearing one each time. Drivers are stupid. Little kids do crazy things. Man hole covers, rocks, cracks in the pavement, tree roots, drainage covers, other riders and all sorts of unexpected things happen, protect your nut.
Appreciate 0