View Single Post
      09-30-2010, 08:17 PM   #58
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

mcbeee sounding like an true engineer. LOL That's a process we in the US call UL Testing and Underwriting. One little change and you might as well rip the UL tag right off the item.

I think Vintage's issue is somewhat different. No doubt BMW would love to consign their warranty to oblivion based on any perceived infraction of their policy terms. However, in the US at least we don't let them off the hook that easy. Many here could speak far more authoritatively on the subject, but my understanding is it's up to the manufacture to prove a finding that the modification impacted the normal operation of the unit and thereby resulted in a failure.

That's where Dinan's warranty is so brilliant because his mods do impact the operation of the unit in a number of ways. It's very difficult to trace back a piggyback, heat exchanger or air intake to a fuel pump failure, particularly a HPFP that has a well know history of failure. I'd further state that a fuel pump whether strictly mechanical or electrically powered have a demonstrable range of operation, which is based on RPM, regardless of the horsepower output.

Clearly, BMW's exec's need to pull their collective heads out of their bean counter's collective posteriors on this issue. They have far more to lose than a few hundred or even a couple $1,000's through damage to the good will of their client base.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbeee View Post
Devils advocate: Although a great number of forum members love modding their vehicles I have always thought to myself that it is not a good idea to mod anything until after the warranty expires. Bearing this in mind I do have Dinan in my new car, specifically because it has warranty and was installed and sold to me by BMW. I dismissed all other power mods because of this advantage, otherwise I would have waited until the end date to do anything.
The cars are designed by the "company" and the "company" warranties that specific design.....
EG:If I take an electrical junction box that has been inspected and certified for use in a Hazardous location such as a hydrocarbon gas rich environment and drill and tap an access hole in that same box, I now have an uncertified box. I can either get the box recertified or I can accept the LIABILITY for any failures, damage or asset losses that may occur in or around that box. I'm sorry to say it but that's just the way it is.

I wish you the best of luck with this issue .
"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end".-- Unknown

Last edited by teagueAMX; 09-30-2010 at 09:12 PM..
Appreciate 0