View Single Post
      09-30-2010, 10:57 AM   #45
marcw
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

Garage List
I can see both sides of this argument. However, allowing any company to void warranties due to modification of the original design is really a very slippery slope. Currently the only mod I have on my car is the stubby antenna. Should I not get warranty if my iDrive system fails? I mean I 'modified' the system after all. Who gets to decide what is an OK mod and what isn't? Where do you draw the line? I think the current law of the land has it just right. I should be able to mod my car and unless it is proven that the mod caused the problem the warranty should kick in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbeee View Post
Devils advocate: Although a great number of forum members love modding their vehicles I have always thought to myself that it is not a good idea to mod anything until after the warranty expires. Bearing this in mind I do have Dinan in my new car, specifically because it has warranty and was installed and sold to me by BMW. I dismissed all other power mods because of this advantage, otherwise I would have waited until the end date to do anything.
The cars are designed by the "company" and the "company" warranties that specific design.....
EG:If I take an electrical junction box that has been inspected and certified for use in a Hazardous location such as a hydrocarbon gas rich environment and drill and tap an access hole in that same box, I now have an uncertified box. I can either get the box recertified or I can accept the LIABILITY for any failures, damage or asset losses that may occur in or around that box. I'm sorry to say it but that's just the way it is.

I wish you the best of luck with this issue .
Appreciate 0