Silver-Bolt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is Melbourne Red

Garage List
2011 Z4 35is  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageBMW View Post
SOME PROGRESS: the problem has now been diagnosed, and YES, it is the HPFP. Now, they are running it up the BMWNA flagpole to see if it is a warranted item due to my modifications. Before going crazy and disparaging BMW, I will withhold judgment and hope the correct outcome is achieved. After all, I knew when these mods were made that it might cause some trouble.

They sent me the BMW Technical Bulletin on performance modifications for the N54. I will try to scan it and post as it is interesting reading. In short, it says that if your power modifications break the car, it is no longer warranted. The discussion is in the context of driveline components and particularly the turbos and transmission. BMW is concerned about the higher turbo temps with boosting power (and shredding the tranny). IRONICALLY, it is the FMIC on our car that keeps the turbos cool and avoids the higher operating temperatures that come with any tune and the resulting power increase.
They may look at your FMIC as an increase in boost. A cooler denser air charge produces more power.
Appreciate 0