01-18-2020, 09:02 AM   #13
fmorelli
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Atacama Yellow 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbiZ4 View Post
No programming is required when you change a CTM. But you need the correct CTM depending on the number of external valves at your hydraulic pump (3 valves before 03/2012, 4 valves as of 03/2012)
Happy New Year, my friend. Good to see the resident Z4 top and electronics expert engaged

Since you brought up the hydraulic pump change - I know you have spent a lot of time understanding the whole top system. Do you have thoughts on the difference in pump? BMW has superseded the 3-valve pump with the 4-valve for pre-3/2012 cars. Older cars had a 3-pin connection to the 3-valve pump. Newer cars have a 4-pin connection to the newer 4-valve pump. BMW now supplies everyone the newer 4-valve pump and recommends connecting the 3-pin older car wiring to the 4-pin connector.

My guess is the 4th pin has to do with the 4th valve actuator. Obviously the wiring harness is different. Yet the CTM seems to be unchanged (p/n 61359281723)

As always, thanks for your insights.

Filippo
RobbiZ4127.50